Nasal congestion isn’t usually something that we need to worry about too much but it can make life very uncomfortable for a few days. This is something that we nearly all have to deal with once or twice a year. It can make some of us really miserable and the arrival of the first sniffle can be enough to put us in a bad mood. Those of us who have allergies will likely have to deal with nasal congestion even more frequently and this can be a real annoyance.
We might think that this problem is always due to mucus blocking the nasal passage, but it is often inflammation and the fact that there is swelling that is the real problem. There have been a number of home remedies that are believed to help us relieve the symptoms of nasal congestion and we will be examining some of these here.
Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion
There are many remedies for nasal congestion and these can range from the effective to the bizarre. Here are just some of remedies that seem to work well for people; although it should be noted that one remedy might work well for one person but not for another.
- Vaporizers create a mist that can provide relief from nasal congestion; especially if there is menthol added to the water. There is some debate as to whether this vapor should be hot or cold; some experts claim that either way can be effective.
- There are many remedies that focus on improving the drainage from the nasal area by way of the sinus cavity. These claims make a lot of sense and this type of remedy can have good results. The easiest way to improve drainage it to press a hot compress on your nose and just under your eyes.
- Another method that is believed to improve sinus drainage is to press your finger quite firmly between your eyes while touching the roof of your mouth with your tongue.
- One very old recipe that people claim is great for a blocked nose is basil tea.
- If you enjoy spicy food then nasal congestion might be a good excuse to indulge in this pleasure. There are many who find relief from their blocked noses by turning to spicy food; you don’t even have to order exotic food as you can just spice up your own dishes with extra black pepper.
- Normal saline solutions can work well for nasal congestion. This is something that you can buy in a chemist. If you want to get the best effect from this solution then you can either use a spray or have it turned into a mist by a vaporizer.
So there you have just some of the most beneficial home remedies for dealing with nasal congestion. There is a lot to choose from and sometimes it may take a bit of experimentation before you find out what works best for you and provides some temporary relief.