Constipation is something that most of us will need to deal with from time to time. We have probably all heard how regular bowel motions are a sign of good health, and it can be worrying when we go a long time without passing a stool. Constipation is also something that can cause a lot of discomfort and even pain. If we strain too hard on the toilet it can also lead to other problems such as hemorrhoids. The best solution to the problem is to avoid becoming constipated in the first place, but this isn’t always possible.
Remedies for Constipation
Constipation is something that humans have needed to deal with throughout their history so it is hardly surprising that we have developed a number of remedies. What follows are just some of the most common treatments we have for the problem.
- The most common cure for constipation is over the counter laxatives. These can work well but it is important to not use them too regularly as the bowel can begin to depend on them. There are a number of different types of laxatives available and it is probably best to start off with something quite mild.
- It is a good idea to eat some licorice if you are constipated. If this is a treat that you like anyway then you will have a good excuse to indulge. Licorice has been shown to help people deal with constipation and it might be all you need to solve the problem. Of course there are some people who just don’t like the taste of licorice and they might want to try something else first.
- There are many who claim that grapes are a great remedy for constipation. Just pop a few of these in your mouth and you should start to see results. If your constipation is quite severe though this might not be enough to solve the problem by itself.
- A mixture of castor oil and honey can be another good home remedy for treating constipation. This isn’t the tastiest cure in the world and you have to just treat it as medicine. If this method really doesn’t appeal to you then you might want to try mixing honey with lemon instead; some people claim that this works equally well.
- As well as choosing remedies it is important that we try to rectify the situation that led to constipation in the first place. We will need to look closely at our diet to ensure that we are getting enough fiber and we will also need to ensure that we are drinking enough fluids. A lot of us will develop constipation because we lead an inactive lifestyle with too much time sitting down. Make sure that you get plenty of regular exercise as this will prevent constipation arising in the first place.
- Read how you get constipation in the first place.
Constipation is something that can make life a bit difficult but luckily there are some good remedies for the situation.