A pulmonary embolism (called a PE for convenience) is a blood clot on the lung. This type of occurrence is considered a medical emergency and it could easily be fatal. Anyone who would actually choose to have this problem occur would be a very strange person indeed. It takes all sorts though, so here are a few ideas for how you might actually develop a PE.
The Causes of a Pulmonary Embolism
In order to better understand how to develop a PE you will benefit from understanding how they are caused. As we have already mentioned it occurs when a blood clot gets into the lung, but how does it actually get there in the first place? What usually happens is that a blood clot forms elsewhere in the body; usually somewhere like the legs. This is called a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT); thrombosis is just a fancy way of saying clot. This DVT can travel into the lungs from elsewhere in the body. It can then become stuck in the lungs and causes all sorts of problems.
As you are probably aware the function of the lungs is gas exchange. We breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide. In order for everything to work properly it requires that blood has to flow unimpeded. If a nasty clot comes along and blocks this smooth flow then it leads to huge problems. In fact, it could even cause part of the lung to die and that could be fatal to the whole body.
How to Develop a Pulmonary Embolism
If you are still convinced that developing a PE is a good thing then you will benefit from the following suggestions. Of course, if you don’t want to die unpleasantly you can just ignore this advice; or better still you could do the opposite.
- Take to your bed and try not to move for a few days. This will give blood the chance to collect in areas of your body and if you are lucky a clot will form in your deep veins.
- Get a job where you spend most of the day sitting at the desk and you will also increase your chances of a DVT.
- Go on a long plane journey and never leave your seat. You have probably heard of economy class syndrome well this is where people develop a deep vein thrombosis due to prolonged sitting on an airplane.
- Make sure that you smoke a lot of cigarettes because this has been shown to increase the likelihood of blood clotting. There has never been a better excuse for smoking in bed.
- Get into an accident where you damage your lower legs. The trauma of this can lead to a clot formation and if that doesn’t work the fact that you are off your feet due to injury might.
So there you have just a few ideas for how to develop a pulmonary embolism. Hopefully you will see sense and not follow any of these suggestions.